Natural gas is a great source of energy for heating our homes, water heaters and cooking, but there are a few things to keep in mind while using it.
If You Smell Gas in Your Home:
- Open a door or window, leave the home immediately, and call your local energy company from a neighbor’s house.
- Do not use the telephone in your house.
- Do not switch any light switches.
- Do not operate your electric garage opener.
- Do not light a match or try to use your gas stove!
Any of these actions could create a spark that might ignite the gas leak!
Other Gas Safety Tips
- If you are outside and notice bubbles in standing water on the ground, that could be a sign of an underground gas leak.
- Store all flammable liquids away from any gas appliances.
- Gas water heaters (that are installed in garages) should be elevated at least 18 inches above the floor. This is done to minimize the risk of having an explosion or fire with spilled flammable liquids.
- It is highly recommended to install smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors in your home.
- If you are in a room working on or around gas appliances and have a headache, followed by nausea and dizziness, then you could be experiencing carbon monoxide poisoning. Get to fresh air immediately and see a doctor if you still experience sickness.
- Install a programmable thermostat that will automatically turn your heat off during the times of the day when you are not at home.
- Install blinds or draperies to help insulate the room in the winter from the bitter cold air.
- Change or clean your filters every 3 months.
It is very important to have your gas heater thoroughly checked by a qualified service technician to make sure the heat exchanger is not cracked or rusted. A technician will ensure that the components are clean and are functioning properly.